My photo
I have a love of life. Some may call me a cynic but I'm truly an optimistic realist. I work on the philosophy “If you expect the worst but aim for the best, you'll land somewhere that's comfortable.”

Total Blog Views

16 June 2012

Using Hotmail with Mac Mail Client semi IMAP


Ok, Windows Live Hotmail doesn't have IMAP function for Mac Mail client – but...

If you want to have your e-mails dropped onto your desk top this is what I've done.

Firstly get signed up for iCloud if you're not already.

I say use iCloud because I'm too lazy to see what other e-mail providers support IMAP other than GMail. Anyhow,

Simply:

  1. Create an iCloud account profile in the Mail app. Mail > Preference > Account tab > Fill in the boxes. Ding, that's step on done.
  2. Go to hotmail and enable forwarding. Options > More Options > e-mail forwarding > insert e-mail address you want it to be forwarded to click save. Ding step two done.
  3. Double check, the frequency with which your mail is check by the Mail app this is in Preferences under the General tab. I've got mine set to every minute!

If you've already had or got a Hotmail account on your Mail client use it's 'out” serve route for the iCloud profile. This will send replies using your hotmail address.

The alternative to this is change to a gmail or iCloud account fully and wave bye bye to your hotmail and enjoy IMAP on you iMac (or other model of Mac, just iMac rhymes).

Plus side to my way is there's no email address to change on every website you have it registered on. The down side is that it's 5 minutes of your life you'll not get back. The down side can be offset by fast forwarding the adverts on a TV show you've recorded or getting your hands on Bernard’s Watch ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading.

Please comment and share.

Let me know what you think.